Monday, March 20, 2006

Individual Freedom vs Social Responsibility

Can somebody put some sense into thuis guy? Khalsa Sikhs are not killers and our Gurus did not bless us with the titles of Singh or Kaur or the concept of Khalsa to be used for personal or political gains. Or am I just making a big deal out of nothing?

http://www.killerkhalsa.com/home2.htm

Now, I know wrestling is big among Punjabis in Canada and even in India, and me saying anything negative about this guy or some other wrestler would be taken very seriously. I just don't understand how wrestling that they show on TV like WWF can be appealing? I mean, the immature dialogue that never ends and less of real wrestling and more childish acting. I rather watch Greco Roman like they do it in Olympics or freestyle etc. It is funny and this is just my theory that somehow wrestling has bigger appeal in the Midwest and Southern part of U.S. like Arkansas, Missourie, Georgia, Kansas etc. and also many Punjabis which predominantly from more farming states. Which is okay, but why more from those backgrounds is the part I never understood? Back to my issue which is not about wrestling but about social responsibility vs. indivdual freedom. Now this guy has all the rights and freedom to call himself whatever he wants but where do we draw the line? Is he that ignorant about Sikhi? Why couldn’t he call himself like “Khalsa Warrior” or “Singh the King”or something? It is just shame he had to use the word killer. Similarly, other people like the play Behzti come to mind. I mean why did the play had to show a rape scene in a Gurdwara? Why couldn't they show a museum or a park and not bring disgrace to the Guru? Yes, it is sensational and probably will sell good, but where is the social responsibility? But I guess who am I to judge? You don’t have to go far to see Sikhi being misrepresented. Almost everyday, news about Punjabis going into drugs, alcoholism, gangs, aborting girl child, lying, cheating, murdering are on regular basis. Friday night, I was watching Discovery channel and they showed some guy “Dhindsa Singh” in New York that owned 53 gas stations and cheating people for gas, paying people for murders, and terrorizing other Punjabis. There are so many people like that which bring disgrace to the name “Singh”, Sikhi and the Sikh community. Every good and bad action that a Sikh with a turban, full beard takes is noticed by Sikhs and non-Sikhs alike all over the World and affects us all. How can I call myself a Sikh if I have a bottle of alcohol in hand, treat and abuse my wife and children bad, cheat, lie, gamble and all other things that are considered bad in almost all societies? Yes, protocols of doing things in different countries and societies may be different, but basic ethics of honesty in dealing, respect and compassion for humanity which could be in the form of a handshake, bow, Sat Sri Akal, Good morning, please, thank you, dhanvaad, shukria, holding door, giving up seat to elders, speaking kindly, helping, sharing etc. in general don’t change and are respected everywhere.

4 Comments:

Blogger Prabhu Singh said...

I also wish the guy could change his name. Khalsa has so much significance to most Sikhs. Guru Gobind Singh said "Khalsa mayraa Satgur poora." This guy does not look like my Guru.
This kind of wrestling isn't for ignorant people, I think it is for dumb people. It is totally immature, totally fake and it has nothing uplifting. It is just violence, slander, degredation of women, and the glorification of these things.
Sikhs doing bad things makes me feel worse than almost anything else. Whether it is the 'cultural' Sikh who cheats and commits crimes, or the 'fanatic' who is mean and judgemental to all those who follow a different way, it upsets me. We are all one, there's no way around it. If we are to associate with the Guru, we must remember this.

1:20 PM, March 20, 2006  
Blogger paramjit singh said...

good blog ..

keep up good work

regards

paramjit

3:28 PM, March 20, 2006  
Blogger Sifar said...

Manjit jee....
My e-mail is jazzel@hotmail.com. Please send me your e-mail address so that I can froward to you an interesting e-mail I received about Nehru and his Family a while ago. A friend from India sent me that mail. I donot want to put it on my blog as I dont have any sources to confirm the authenticity of the matter in the e-mail, but I want you to read it, as it is said, where there is Smoke, there sure gotta be some Fire....

PS. I was reading your blog on Indian Democracy.

4:27 AM, March 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sifar ji can you forward it to me @ wwa4me@hotmail.com as well?
Thanks!

10:12 PM, March 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home