Friday, March 30, 2007

Japani Nagara or Japanese Dhol or shall we say Taiko Anyone!

The sound of drums, whether it is Punjabi Dhol or Taiko Drumbeat or Ranjit Nagara of Sikhs of Guru Gobind Singh or African or European drums, is always mesmerizing. If you remember, the last Athens Olympics Ceremony opened with a drum beat as well. It was quite a scene. I think it is time for all Gurdwaras to order some Ranjit Nagaras and dhols for young kids. A while back, Sikhnet had posted some sounds of Ranjit Nagara on its website as well. And, I don't have to mention the Punjabi Dhol used in Bhangra, which in itself has become one of the best drum sounds in the World. Just imagine, everyone in their beautiful spring color turbans, bana, kurta pajamas, shirts, pants, shorts dancing to the beats of Dhol for Baisakhi or Basant or Hola Mahalla.

Listen to samples of Taiko drum:

http://www.taiko.org/kidsweb/aboutsjt.html

2 Comments:

Blogger Prabhu Singh said...

Cool post. I've been practicing tabla a lot more lately and I've also been doing Bhangra weekly, so I'm really getting into drums lately :-)

12:39 PM, March 31, 2007  
Blogger SikhsRus said...

Thanks! You are blessed to know playing tabla. I have been so wanting to learn tabla or harmonium or something! I feel like such a handicap in that area. I enjoy listening to Gurbani and Kirtan, but I think this enjoyment and bliss can be experienced even further from self performing and singing. I hope to to find time and someone that can teach some tabla classes to me one of these days.

11:00 PM, April 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home