Sunday, April 22, 2007

Why Sikh Sangat in Canada and other places allowing Khalistani agenda in Nagar Kirtans?

As I picked up Vaisakhi Edition of Chardi Kala Newspaper Issue No. 15, Volume23 from local Gurdwara, I look at the front page and I am kind of disappointed and little worried about the future as to how Khalistan political agenda is being promoted in Nagar Kirtans and nobody is doing anything about it. I remember Sikhnet used to do polls in the 90s and the poll on Khalistan showed only about 48 to 49% people in support of it and that was in the late 90s. It is a big divide and I wish more polls were taken and discussions would take place since it affects future of mine and your kids. I wish a recent poll is done again to se what people feel about it now. Even the current Punjab elections where 82% of the people voted showed no Khalsitan candidate such as Simranjeet Singh Maan got any big support. But hicjacking of Nagar Kirtan to obtain Khalsitan support is a wrong way to go and shows the how fanaticism can slowly enter and will of the people can be hijacked. This is the kind of thing that Osama Bin Laden and radical Islamists or Taliban have been doing with Islam. Yes, I would like to live in a Khalsa Raj with an Amritdhari Sikh man or woman as a leader who truly follows the tenets of Sikhism, but I don't believe in being separate from India is the solution, but changing India to a Sikh a way of life would be my Khalistan. Imagine the whole India following a Sikh way of life. If we as Sikhs don't have the charisma, or power or the smarts to change people's mindset to our Khalsa way then I don't even think we deserve a Khalistan at all. A friend of mine used a phrase which I really liked that "Khalistan is where Khlasa lives". To the global sangat, I say please speak up, write or else some of these poeple will hijack and rob yours, your kids, and grandkids future and peaceful way of life to further their agenda and put a big blot on peacful Sikhism. "Sikhnet, I hope you guys are listening!" Nagar Kirtan especially on Vaisakhi and other occasions should not be used as a political agenda no matter where Sikh live. I rather go to the Nagar Kirtan kind of like in Los Angeles than to the one in Canada. Please lets us keep Khalistan (A Spearate Country out of India) out of Naagar Kirtans and Gurdwaras and work towards Khalsa Raj in a Glabal perspective including India. Furthermore, if you look at pictures more closely in the newspaper, poeple are looking very stressed instead of enjoying the Nagar Kirtan and I could not find one picture of man, woman or a child with a truly happy face or a smile. Wouldn't you be stressed when you are there to enjoy Nagar Kirtan and be in the spirit of Baisakhi, but find out their agenda is Khalistan instead of letting poeple enjoy Baisakhi? This post was written very fast paced as thoughts came and I hope there are not any big typos, wrong sentences etc. but I just wanted to get it out of my chest since I feel it needs to be pointed out and I wish more people would speak about it than just be spectators. Again, It affects all of us Sikhs! Love to hear your opinion.

I just saw these two articles below and thought fit perfectly well with what I just mentioned two hours ago. This is indeed good news that people are speaking up. I wish poeple and busniesses would peacefully boycott Chardi Kala by pulling their advertisements from the newspaper It seems to incite people's sentiments as well:

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=ee993216-3036-4983-a2d6-2c683db26af6&k=42448

http://www.surreyleader.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=73&cat=23&id=966855&more=

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"But hicjacking of Nagar Kirtan to obtain Khalsitan support is a wrong way to go and shows the how fanaticism can slowly enter and will of the people can be hijacked."

fanaticism...really..pls explain how Khalistan is fanaticism? Will of the people hijacked...I guess we are all sheep...except of you of course.

"This is the kind of thing that Osama Bin Laden and radical Islamists or Taliban have been doing with Islam."

using Osama...A page out of the George Bush and the Republican party playbook...in your next blog pls talk about the greatness of the Iraq war wheere US Marines are being greeted as liberators.

4:17 PM, April 22, 2007  
Blogger SikhsRus said...

All I would like to say is that from the news links I have posted, obviously there are a lot of people that would agree with my viewpoint of hijacking of this nagar kirtan. Please read if you get a chance.

9:22 PM, April 22, 2007  
Blogger SikhsRus said...

Oh! About Osama, Bush is not the only one that think what he did was terrible. Most Sikhs and non-Sikhs in the World think that way too. Yes, Iraq has nothing to do with Osama and what Bush is doing is wrong too, But I wish you would see why the World thinks of Osama as an idiot. If he really wanted to help his muslim brothers and sisters, and he had all the money to do so 300+ million or so, he could have opened hospitals, schools, libraries, asharms, but he didn't and instead killed 3000+ people and laughed about it. That really helped the muslims didn't it. Same thinking goes with Sikhs that preach and promote hatred and violence. If you really want to help your Khalsa Panth, please go out there and volunteer at a hospital, go open a library in the name of Khalsa, help the disabled in the name of Gurus, pay for someone's education in India, open a non-profit like Bhagat Puran Singh like a real Gursikh. That would be really helping your Sikh brothers and sisters and the panth. Yes, you have every right in Canada to domonstrate against India and about Khalistan, but don't ruin a Nagar Kirtan. A nagar Kirtan should be just that "a Nagar Kirtan", and hope you know the meaning. And, same with Vaisakhi, it is not a platform for Khalistan separate from India, if that was Guru Gobind Singh would have announced it in 1699.

9:38 PM, April 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"If you really want to help your Khalsa Panth, please go out there and volunteer at a hospital, go open a library in the name of Khalsa, help the disabled in the name of Gurus, pay for someone's education in India, open a non-profit like Bhagat Puran Singh like a real Gursikh. That would be really helping your Sikh brothers and sisters and the panth."

How do you know I haven't? It's pretty arrogant of you to assume that I haven't.


"but he didn't and instead killed 3000+ people and laughed about it"

I never saw any video clips of him "laughing" could you pls post a link to the video.

"And, same with Vaisakhi, it is not a platform for Khalistan separate from India, if that was Guru Gobind Singh would have announced it in 1699. "

Sorry I forgot...Vaisakhi is a time for Bhangra competitions to take place at Universities/Colleges across the land.

8:21 AM, April 23, 2007  
Blogger SikhsRus said...

I don't have anything to say to you! I suggest you read and see the Chardi Kala paper and pictures inside and on front page and judge it yourself.

10:28 AM, April 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sikhs have not forgotten when Punjab was split in half in 1947. It is still split and should be made one. Pakistan can be separate, India can be separate, but why split Punjab in the process? 1984 attack solidified the reality of Khalistan and it was declared by the Sikh commnunity through "SArbat Khalsa" in 1986. Khalistan is a peaceful campaign for human rights. It is justified as Israel and Tibet and other oppressed nations struggle for autonomy. God bless the Sikhs and they will be successful to reach their goal. All should support the Khalsa as they will bring peace in this world and bring the light of God in all of our hearts.

2:23 AM, April 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am born and raised in India and I support Sikhs in India, Punjab, Pakistan, and anywhere else to have united Punjab (Punjab like it was before 1947). We have no right to put salt on their wounds by brushing off their tortures. They suffered, we didn''t. They fought in our army, most of us didn''t. They saved us from oppression many times. They deserve their own autonomy. With God grace they may be successful to get fair rights and self determination.

11:59 AM, April 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

over 10000 separate pieces of items declaring support for Khalistan were handed out for free in Toronto. People were lined up to get them and wear them proudly. There was no violence or anything else. People from N. Ireland, Tibet, Kurdistan, etc... all want to have freedom. Why shouldn't every nation have the right to work for their own nation? Many people from Quebec are doing so. Is there something wrong with all of those people too?

The Nagar Kirtan should not have been the place to place the photo of TS Parmar, as he has been implicated in a terrorist act that happened from Canadian soil. There is a controversy around him, rightly or wrongly in people's opinion. If people believe he is truly innocent then they should launch a petition to have the Canadian gov't examine his actions and come to a conclusion one way or the other. But the Nagar Kirtan shouldn't be brought into disrepute as a result. The Gurdwara committee should have had a prepared statement outlining the reasons for his picture being included instead of just going along with float organizers. There needs to be some professional about these things.

9:12 AM, May 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a Sikh and I love my India. I am not too good at politics but instead make my opinion from the people in front of me, in my face. And I will not betray the love I have received from them by this talk. For me, India has lot of people who are exploited and hurt - more than those who are hurt. Just count, thinking of the entire country. I am not ready to sulk. I think its becoming of a Sikh to join hands and fight the system and not run away. I am here ready to join hands with them to do my bit to change the system and rot in the Indian system - even if its just with some words and some action. I also think India is more than Delhi and the surroundings - the area which is the most crazy. I do not think Sikhs who have travelled around India would think of parting the country.

I do not think its my idea of being a Sikh to seek an island. If I am strong enough, I am here to protect others not myself.If not, I will try.

10:22 AM, May 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry! Read the line in my last post as: "For me, India has lot of people who are exploited and hurt - more than those who hurt. "

Oops corrigendums take the romance out of the views! LOLZ.

10:25 AM, May 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home