Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Is seeking Truth really simple?

Over the years I have heard and talked about people looking and seeking Truth in everyday life. What I don’t understand is that why is “It” so hard to find? Why are we humans so hung up into the caste system, class distinctions, religious distinctions, racism and materialism? One of the things Guru Nanak said was that Truthful living is even higher than the Truth. Then I ask, why are we even looking for Truth and why don’t I just try to live truthfully to my best and everything else should be taken care for? Other question comes to mind then is what is a truthful living, for Sikhs it is a life of Seva (service to humanity), Simran (meditation on the creator) and honest earning. Since all of this seem so simple, what I don’t understand is that why are we so hung up on things above. Is it because everything in the current system of state economies is tied to money? Money is needed for even basic human needs such as food, medicine, clothing and shelter. Then how much is enough? Would a simple house in countryside with a few animals be enough to lead a simple, peaceful, honest life? It probably would be a poor life. Then what happens if my wife and kids get sick and I don’t have the money to buy them medicine? What kind of education would my kids be getting? Would I be able to afford clothes? Does this mean I need to save more for these things? What about Dasvand? Is buying the best jewelary, gadgets and toys like gamecube or a gocart etc. for my family being too materialist or bringing joy to them is more important? There is no end to all this? Sometimes I question myself as to where can I live on this earth that would simply fulfill the above requirements of Sikh faith. Then questions come, how did people like Jesus, Guru Nanak, and Buddha live? Did they carry money around or people just fed them wherever they went since they had the Divine presence? They must have had the same human needs as anyone else? I wish I knew the answers to these questions, and if the life were real simple, we would have all found the Truth. I guess I will just have to continue to live in the best truthful way as I possibly can, no matter where I am on this Earth.

3 Comments:

Blogger Truth Seeker said...

You seem to be experiencing varagaya. If you leave the "I", "Me" or "I am doing" from everything, and think everything is being done by Akal Purakh even though you might seem to be doing the actions, then you will really live a truthful life. Many people have heard this concept but find it difficult to practice.

Bliss!

12:29 PM, September 28, 2005  
Blogger SikhsRus said...

Thank you for the comments. You are 100% correct about everything being done! As in Japji Sahib, "Hukam hovan akar, hukam na kahia jai". Ultimately, Akal Purakh Waheguru is doing everything!

2:53 PM, September 28, 2005  
Blogger SikhsRus said...

Thanks! Gurinder. Great comments! I like the line "I could be the richest person in the world and IF my mind is absorbed in Divine being then I have a simple living". You are right about the truth.

4:54 PM, September 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home