Thursday, September 22, 2005

Is Guru Granth Sahib just another ordinary book?

A few years back there was a news story about Guru Granth Sahib being put in a library in England next to all other books. Recently I have been thinking about this and my take on this is that it can not be treated just like another book, because it essentially is the same Divine Light (Ek Jot, Ek Noor) that flew thru Guru Nanak thru Guru Gobind Singh Ji. To call it a just another book is to just say that all the Gurus from Guru Nanak thru Guru Gobind, and other sufi saints and Bhagats whose bani is in the Guru Granth Sahib were just ordinary men. Were Jesus and Mohammad just ordinary men, I probably don’t think so. If I show disrespect to the Guru Granth Sahib, it would show that I probably would have acted the same way if Guru Nanak or Guru Arjan or any of the other Gurus were present. I have seen some of the people take our holy scripture so lightly that respect for the Guru is almost gone. I guess this comes from comparing the Guru Granth Sahib with Bhagwad Gita or Bible which can be just placed in a library like other books. I don’t know about Quran, but from the recent Newsweek story about disrespect for Quran in the U.S. prison, I would think Muslims probably don’t put it in the libraries.

Would love to hear other people’s take on this.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quran is easily available in other libraries in Toronto. They do respect the book, but spreading the word, outreaching to the masses is a bigger concern for them. There is a difference: It aint their Guru like SGGS is ours! I don't consider SGGS as a mere book. It is Waheguru in the most accessible way presenting Himself to His Sangat. But I could never reconcile by debate of how to let SGGS reach to the masses. The only time I got the saubhag was when we had Akhand Paath @ home and once when i represented my school for a Raensabai. I, however wish, that there was a comprehensive book on SGGS that talks about it and conveys the message in as much detail as possible. And those should be available in libraries. If it intrigues peoples interest, they should be directed to visit the Gurudwaras.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh!!!

11:36 AM, September 22, 2005  
Blogger SikhsRus said...

I like this idea of book about Guru Granth Sahib. Only things is that I don't think we can stop a non-sikh from showing disrespect. I have heard cases of police (mostly non-sikh) entering Gurudwars with shoes and guns drawn. It is not the police to blame, for the most part, it is the Sikhs inside the gurudwara whose erratic behaviour (drawing of swords etc.) has called for a police action, more in the western countries than in India. I guess they need an avenue to let off their steam like soccer or internet may be?

2:55 PM, September 22, 2005  
Blogger SikhsRus said...

Gurinder Ji,

I could not your profile on the blog. Please tell us about yourself, life, and interests? Any intersting life stories you would like to share.

8:21 AM, September 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home