Wednesday, May 16, 2007

What is wrong with following in the footsteps of the Sikh Gurus and dressing like them? I wish all Sikhs would act like the Great Gurus.

With the recent news of clashes between SAD/SGPC and Dera Sacha Sauda people, it is saddening to see people’s behaviour on both sides. I mean the Tribune is showing pictures of Nihangs and other Sikhs with their swords drawn on one side, and dera supporters throwing bricks at them in return. Now living here in the U.S., I haven’t seen the ad that shows dera leader dressing up like Guru Gobind Singh Sahib and what exactly the ad says or shows, but a few questions come to my mind and hope some Gursikhs would answer them for me?

1) Emotions aside, what is wrong with someone (in this case this dera guy) dressing like our Great Gurus as long as he or she doesn’t claim himself or herself to be a Sikh Guru? I mean aren’t we all trying to walk in the footsteps of our great Gurus and follow their teachings? I wish all Sikhs would act like our great Gurus then we wouldn’t have all of the problems of infanticide, alcoholism, dowry, caste etc. I would love to see some gursikhs with Kalgis, cholas, kamarkasas, swords, karas, horses, eagles, khranwan, malas etc. Them wearing these things doesn’t mean they are trying to become Gurus but actually would be great role models since they are showing their love for the Gurus and at least trying to follow in their footsteps!

2) Why draw swords? I thought a Sikh does not draw sword until all other means have failed? The pictures in the links below tell me something different.
http://www.tribuneindia.com/
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2007/20070517/punjab.htm
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2007/20070517/delhi.htm#10

3) If that Dera baba ( I really don’t know who he is) is administering amrit, isn’t he really promoting Sikhi and teachings of the Gurus?

4) Who decides what hurts Sikh emotions anymore? Is it the SGPC deciding on your and my behalf? Sikh Jathedars? the Sikhs in General? Or the prominent Sikh politicians like Badal or Amrinder Singh or Mann etc?

5) Why arrest this Baba and ask for jail time? There are so many “turban wearing Sikhs” in everyday life that do more un-sikh things than this baba like shooting people, smoking, drinking, sex scandals etc? Hey! At least he is telling people to take amrit!

6) Why do people even follow dera babas like this when God has given us the gift of Guru Granth Sahib?

Anyways, please educate me and would love to hear what your thoughts are on this issue? Is it really that serious as it is made out to be?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Singh Ji,

Few things to clear! This guy does not give Amrit, he gives people "Jaame Roohani...i.e. milk with Rooh Afzaa" except its copied and done just like Amrit ceremony and hence irks Sikhs since Amrit sanchar is considered sacred. I agree, I have no problem with him claiming to be a holy man or even God himself if he wants to but don't use misquoted gurbani and Sikh terms to sell his own agenda and milk money from average innocent folks! And that's why Sikhs want him to stop this business.
Again, if he truly is humanitarian or holy, wouldn't he think that his actions upset large group of Sikhs and he should not do it. Plus, the guy is under investigation for embezzlement, rape charges, sexual exploitation of women in his dera. He doesn't have to say it loud that he proclaims himself to be equivalent of Sikh Guru Sahib, his actions speak for itself! All the rest is just political ploy by our power hungry leaders who are most to blame for this!

Hope you understand why this drama is being played out!

5:17 PM, May 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems like you aren't aware of the controversy. You can visit discoversikhi.com and read the information there to learn about the Sacha Sauda 'cult'.

5:59 PM, May 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://forums.waheguroo.com/index.php?showtopic=18993&hl=sacha+sauda
http://forums.waheguroo.com/index.php?showtopic=18999&hl=sacha+sauda
http://forums.waheguroo.com/index.php?showtopic=19009&hl=sacha+sauda
http://forums.waheguroo.com/index.php?showtopic=18961&hl=sacha+sauda

6:01 PM, May 16, 2007  
Blogger SikhsRus said...

Sorry, I really didn't know much about him and thank you for clarifying and enlightening me about this guy! Oh yeah! That would make me mad too. Rooh afza, what the heck? Is this guy nuts or what? Ad, all these other charges, if they are true, I can see why jail is being asked for. I haven't visited your link yet, but your post has informed me enough as to why Sikhs are upset. Thanks again.

9:23 PM, May 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In General, my opinion.... I think violence is a bad idea from any side to defend or promote religion. One needs to fight for a human cause and join hands with anyone who needs support and care or defense - thats the purpose of religion and not the 'religion' itself. Religion will grow or diminish depending upon the love it generates among its followers. Any other route to keep it 'intact' is not the way in my mind. Already too many people have died in the name of religion and more will probably.

9:46 AM, May 17, 2007  
Blogger Hari Singh said...

WJKK WJKF,

Manjit, I read in a post on GMS's blog that you're going to the Punjabi-American festival in Yuba city this weekend. I don't have your email addres otherwise I'd email you, but I wanted to tell you that Prabhu, Sita and I will be there. You haven't met Sita yet, so hopefully we can all meet up. We're going to be doing some bhangra. My email is
harisinghkhalsa_at_gmailDOTcom

9:32 AM, May 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home