Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Who is really American and whose land is it anyways?

Here is an interesting two-part article on illegal immigration, racism and socio-economic problems of my adopted country. The questions that come to mind are that who really is American and whose land is it? It depends how deep and how far back in history you want to go and whom you ask! I mean, on one side, if everybody goes back to where they came from, only people left would be Native Americans. If 40 million Irish, Italians, Jews, and other Europeans were allowed in the country without papers, why not Mexicans or Chinese or others? Even my daughter once got mad and told me to go back to India. I told her to go back to wherever she came from. I guess, best thing for me would have been to shut up and let her vent off. I sure can use some help and advice in dealing with a teenager who was born and grew up in America. Anyways, read if you like:

http://www.michnews.com/a/article_11_15_05.shtml (part 1)

http://www.michnews.com/b/article_12_28_05.shtml (part 2)

On the same thought, here is a funny car sticker I saw a few months ago.
“In 1492, Indians discovered Columbus!”.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Indians found columbus" is f-u-n-n-y!

As for the teenage issues, I have no plight in recommendations, but would like to share the strategy I deem superflous :P. When a younger person vents, let him, her. Don't say ANYTHING in return and make sure your face exressions don't yell out frustration, or disappointment. Else this is the reinforcer for them to carry on. When they are done, after a significant lapse of time, when all's cooled down, talk to them in PRIVATE. Restate what they said, and how hurtful it was. That is when you reiterate their insensitivity. Remind them that you love them before you leave. They might not sumbit right away, but the impact might reap something significant sooner or later. And erase the episode (or try to) from your memory, except for sharing with the spouse, if he/she is one who can keep things to himself/herself, and that is only to lighten your heart.

I dunno...i regret having rebelled my dad a couple of times too. I mean 'cuz I blvd that he is being inconsiderate of stuff that might be important to me. And even after every heavy gasp of remorse, I could never muster up the courage to apologize right away (also cuz he too is short tempered, he wont listen :P). And even if that kinda thing happens once in a blue moon, it leaves a dark spot on my conscience...for I want to be the best daughter ever. I said he is short tempered, but he is very forgiving and forgetting, which helps. And although we never get to talk about what happened, it doesn't matter that much, for he gives me an absolutely fresh start:)

Sorry, this got way longer than i intended.

Cheers to the wonderful bonds of families. Waheguru must really love his creation for He secured unconditional love for all of us even for this short time on earth.

5:46 AM, February 23, 2006  
Blogger SikhsRus said...

Thanks for these good tips and sharing your thoughts and experiences. I will keep these in mind. It is so hard sometimes! I guess I have my work cut out and challenges that lie ahead as a father of a teenager.

8:22 AM, February 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home