Thursday, November 18, 2010

Why repeat Guru Ji's Mantra?

This morning while doing waheguru simran, thought comes to mind as to why am I repeating the Waheguru mantar. I always used to think why the Bhai ji and raagi jaathas keep saying Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru for 15 to 20 minutes in the Gurdwara? At the time I thought it was boring because of my limited budhi (understanding) and less intutive thinking. I would even ask people as to why they keep saying waheguru waheguru instead of singing a shabad but didn't get the satisfactory answer. I guess I wasn't meant to reap the reward of simran during those times. After listening to lectures, kathas, and Gurbani it makes perfect sense now. You see, repeating of Guru ji's mantar is kind of like making butter by churning milk in a chaati (a terracotta pot typically used in Punjab) with madhani (churn with a rope attached to it for turning back and forth repeatedly). You can not get to taste and enjoy the butter if you don't churn it properly. You churn it halfway and not at the right speed, it doesn't turn out good and you get half results. Guru ji knows how to churn it properly and teaches you, but you have to be willing to make the effort to learn and enjoy. I hope this helps explains some of you out there that are feeling as I used to feel about repating Gurmantar. I like what Siri Singh Sahib says:

"Sri Guru Granth Sahib is our Guru and Waheguru is our Gurmantar".

This Shabad is by Bhai Gurdaas Ji in Vaars Bhai Gurdaas on Pannaa 42

charan saran gur eaek paiddaa jaae chala
sath gur kott paiddaa aagae hoe laeth hai ||
eaek baar sathigur ma(n)thr simaran maathra
simaran thaahi baara(n)baar gur haeth hai ||
bhaavanee bhagath bhaae kouddee agrabhaag raakhai
thaahi gur sarab nidhhaan dhaan dhaeth hai ||
sathigur dhaeiaa nidhh mehimaa agaadhh bodhhi
namo namo namo namo naeth naeth naeth hai ||111||

Walking one step towards the Guru's feet, the True Guru walks millions of steps to welcome you. By reapeating the mantra given by the True Guru only once, Guru blesses you with love and devotion and repetition of the Name again and again. If, with devotion and reverence, one places only one coin in front of the Guru, the Guru blesses one with all treasures. The True Guru is the treasure of all mercy. His glory is infinite. Always, always, always, I bow, I bow, I bow

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home