Thursday, May 11, 2006

A Sikh World within the World!

Looking at the various Sikh blogs out there, it amazes me as to how much talent is out there within the Sikh community which has not been harnessed by the big media, book and magazine publishers, movie makers etc. I don’t understand why? Is it racism, bigotry, the good old boys club mentality or lack of support and resources within Sikh community or people own internal fears and insecurity to not venture into new things or try new things? And, it is not just generic traditional labels by non-Indian for Indians and Punjabis such as engineers, scientists, insurance and real estate agents, cab and truck drivers, convenience and liquor store owners, gas station owners, motels, researchers, doctors or singers and dancers etc. I am talking trendy and some not so traditional professions and creative hidden multiple talents of turbaned Sikh women and men such as poets, writers, creative Bhangra and Gurbani musicians, teachers, skiers, swimmers, runners, policemen, fighter pilots, Sikh snow boarders, Sikh antique sellers, Sikh cartoonists, lawyers, Sikh fashion designers, movie makers, sports coaches, Sikh politicians and the list can go on. I guess some may think that it is a biased statement because my interests also lie in Sikhism, but just visit some of the Sikh bloggers that are listed under Sikhnet website and you will see what I mean. This is a great sign and shows the good health of Sikh community and its ability to sustain, open up to new things and seek adventure while maintaining Sikh and Khalsa traditions. This is really true when people say, a Sikh knows no bounds and Sikh community is hardworking and adventurous people. It makes me proud that Sikhs have this, their own little World within the outside World of human made land boundaries, maya, materialism, crime, murder, drugs, power, wars and control. I don't know but everytime I go to Gurdwara or listen to Gurbani at home that world just opens up for me. It almost seems magical. More Sikh talent please!!!

http://www.sikhtoons.com/historybooks.html

7 Comments:

Blogger Prabhu Singh said...

I don't trust big media, maybe we can get our own media and promote Sikh talent through that. I think Sikhnet and SikhSangat and Panthic.org are doing good work with Sikh news services. Sikhs are making movies as well, now we just need a satellite radio or television station.

10:51 AM, May 12, 2006  
Blogger SikhsRus said...

I agree. I think the biggest hurdle would be the financial support! I don't think there is any shortage of Sikh talent out there to run the stations, produce programs, news, plays, yoga, skits, kirtan, documentaries, history sports, movies etc. Once it goes, ads definitely will come from all over. Even I read on one of the news story Sikhnet posted that Hari Singh Khalsa was an executive at one time for some big media company. I am sure he probably has a lot of insight into this stuff.

1:05 PM, May 12, 2006  
Blogger Prabhu Singh said...

I wonder which Hari Singh Khalsa, because that's my brother's name and he's never been an executive of anything :-)
In regards to Shinda's remarks, I guess the next question is how do we get that media in the US or elsewhere?

10:57 AM, May 13, 2006  
Blogger Pritam Singh Khalsa said...

I thought is was pretty cool to see a credit card commercial with a Sikh wearing a turban as like a main character. That was a huge step towards showing that Sikhs are just like everyone else other than a diffrent religion.
SatNam
Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji ki fateh!

8:24 AM, May 14, 2006  
Blogger SikhsRus said...

Prabhu Singh - Hari Singh I am talking about is I think is teh CEO of 3HO.

Shinda ji - I wish some of these Punjabi dominated Sikh television shows would team up with Sikhnet and other western Sikh establishments. I understand there are some differences and personsnal hesitations in the way Punjabi and Western Sikh community view each other, but I think they can be mutually benefitting to each other for a greater and wider understanding of Sikhi.

Pritam - I have heard about this AMEX commercial, but I have not seen it yet.

3:48 PM, May 15, 2006  
Blogger SikhsRus said...

Pritam - How are the girls doing?

3:49 PM, May 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWW - I love this post. Great perception and wonderfully labelled "a world within the world". Although i don't visit Sikhnet and all those blogs listed on there...there are just a selected few I'm determined to not let go off, I know what you mean Manjeet singh ji. And I am with you on this call - it's definitely a healthy sign of good striving :)

10:30 PM, May 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home